Lesley Gomez left England at 22 to serve as a missionary in the Philippines. Today she and her husband Peter run LAMA, a charity and safe house for the abandoned boys of the streets.
LAMA HOUSE, Pugo, Bauang, La Union. Philippines.
Residential Care and Crisis Intervention for boys aged 9 – 19
Director: Lesley Gomez
LAMA Ministries: Fund Raising Policy
We believe that the way an organization handles their finances is a reflection of their integrity in every area. “He who is faithful in small things can be trusted with much.”
Therefore we have established strict guidelines on the way we solicit contributions and the way our resources are used. Here are the policies that have guided us through the years:
- This ministry belongs to God, not Peter and Lesley Gomez. It is not a monument to ourselves, the Charity does not bear our name and the buildings do not belong to us. We are just God’s servants in the work of His Kingdom.
- The Lord has approved this ministry through His constant provision. He supplies us with His Holy Spirit and works powerfully and miraculously among us not because of what we do but because we believe in Him, trust in Him and rely on the message of faith.
- He is God, He gives and sometimes He takes away. If He ever closes the door to this work we will accept His leading and leave the outcome with Him. Until then we will give our time and energy to the work of LAMA.
- One of the ways we discern God’s will regarding the continuation of the work is through the financial provision He sends or does not send from His people. Therefore, during times when funds are short we will make our obligations known to our friends – but will not manipulate, sweet-talk, or beg for contributions. We will not resort to methods of fund raising that we consider disrespectful and dishonourable, even when the needs are serious.
- We will not operate the ministry at a deficit. If there are times when it is necessary to borrow funds for large capital expenditures such as for a new building, as in a mortgage, we will seek to repay the loan as soon as possible.
- We consider contributions we receive as sent from loving people who have sacrificed to make their gifts possible. Our obligation is to spend that money wisely in the ministry and only for its designated purpose.
- We will receipt all donations and inform contributors of the tax-deductible portion of their gift.
- We will not try to raise more money than we need.
- The Trust Deed allows for Peter and Lesley Gomez to receive a salary from LAMA Ministries and for the Charity to provide for their health care, but we will not take this unless it is necessary preferring to live by faith. Having begun the work relying on the Holy Spirit we do not want to depend on the ministry once it is established.
- We will not sell or rent our mailing list to those who wish to use the names and addresses of our supporters. Our supporters wrote to us in good faith, we will maintain tight security on our lists or friends and supporters.
- We will conform to the standards established by the Charity Commission in the United Kingdom and the Securities and Exchange Commission in the Philippines to ensure ethical fund raising and administration practices among non-profit Christian organisations.
- We will remember always that Jesus Christ is our Author and Finisher. He ordained and blessed this ministry. It belongs entirely to Him.